The citrus has been simply stunning at the markets recently – bulging, ripe and so bright that I’d like to line my walls and windows with every last kumquat to block out the grey skies and cold temperatures. I’ve been squeezing and juicing them into all sorts of libations and slicing them into salads, desserts and my morning yogurt. I’ve been working traditional oranges, grapefruit and blood oranges into my birthday cocktails all week in New York City.
I worked on this Orange Rosemary Spritz cocktail with my partner in many fun collaborations, Heidi Murphy of White Loft Studio, for our monthly cocktail column over at Snippet & Ink. We didn’t need piles of fresh citrus for this drink, a simple slice would do, to brighten up a can of orange flavored Italian soda.
Sweet and herbal mesh well in this fizzy, refreshing drink. The rosemary aroma lingers all around and the sugared rim balances the citrus and bitter tinge of the Italian aperitif, Aperol. The color will brighten any winter day. When stocking up on supplies for the next winter storm, don’t forget a handful of rosemary.
Orange Rosemary Spritz
- 1 oz Aranciata Pellegrino
- 1 oz Lillet
- 1 tablespoon Aperol
- 1 oz Prosecco
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 1 tablespoon organic cane sugar
- 1 slice orange
- Strip leaves from one rosemary sprig. Chop leaves very finely and toss well with sugar in a small flat dish.
- Rub a bit of orange on the rim of a small cocktail glass and dip in the rosemary sugar mixture until the rim is dotted with sugar and rosemary. Add Pellegrino, Lillet, Aperol and ice to the glass. Top with Prosecco.
- Garnish with remaining sprig of rosemary and, if you’d like, a slice of orange.
Photos styled and taken by Heidi Murphy/White Loft Studio
Eat Boutique discovers the best small batch foods by boutique food makers. We share recipes, maker stories and city guides to eating boutique. We host tasting events and markets for food makers, cookbook authors and food fans. We craft seasonal, regional gift and tasting boxes and sell individual items that you can order in our shop.
Latest posts by Maggie Battista (see all)
- Ball Heritage Perfection Collection Giveaway - August 13, 2014
- All-Purpose Quick Pickle Brine - August 4, 2014
- Love Your Kitchen and Happy Birthday, Eat Boutique - July 31, 2014