Spring is here and we’re lucky to have Judi Cutrone and Nicole Ziegler from Some Kitchen Stories dust off an old favorite, spruce it up and well, open it up: the sandwich. This is the first contribution from the SKS ladies, and they’ve already got our mouths watering. What sandwich are you packing in your spring picnic basket? -Maggie
It’s a fact of nature that in winter things close up. We hibernate. We huddle. We insulate (some with thick sweaters, some with chocolate cake, we don’t judge).
And then, it’s spring and everything opens up. Things widen and expand. It’s glorious. Even the birds know it.
Even the sandwiches know it.
Creamy, homemade hummus. Thick, hearty slices of bread. Tender strips of juicy red pepper. Big, beefy hunks of portabella mushroom. Served sunny-side up. It’s spring, we can be open about this.
Use bread as a canvas. Start with a creamy spread of your choosing. Add some crunch. Play with colors. Add a sprinkle of finishing salt. Pour some wine. Enjoy!
These are some suggestions, but get creative and customize yours with spreads, greens and veggies that simply look good to you!
- Fresh sliced bread
- Portabella mushroom
- Red Pepper
- Cut thick, hearty slices of your favorite bakery bread. One slice per sandwich.
- Slather on a hearty dollop of hummus, or your favorite spread.
- Add some color with a few fresh basil leaves (or any green you like!)
- We liked red peppers and portabella mushrooms for this sandwich, grill them a bit and slice into juicy, tender strips.
- Top with some finishing salt and enjoy!
All photos styled and taken by Nicole Ziegler.
Eat Boutique is an online magazine + market for food enthusiasts to celebrate the best pure, local + comforting handmade foods. We call it: food that hugs you back. Looking for the perfect gift? Eat Boutique sells gift boxes filled with handmade sweet and savory treats. Send a gift box of handmade food today.
Latest posts by Judi Cutrone & Nicole Ziegler (see all)
- Butternut Squash Risotto with Walnuts and Soy Caramel - September 26, 2014
- Streusel Topped Blueberry Pie - August 8, 2014
- Harissa Chicken and Chickpeas - January 27, 2014