This is a wonderful time of year. Farmer’s markets everywhere are brimming with the vivid colors of the early Fall harvest. This Beet & Apple Salad is not only delicious and so pretty, the crisp combo of earthy sweetness from the beets and tarty sweetness from the apples is a perfect way to bid farewell to Summer and say hello Autumn!
Oh, it’s also very good for you. (I use raw beets because cooking removes some of its nutrients, nutrients that have endless health benefits from lowering cholesterol to normalizing blood pressure.) And please don’t throw out the beet greens; they are also chock full of vitamins and great chopped raw in a salad or cooked as a side dish, like swiss chard or spinach.
My friend France (not the country, but from the country!) shared this easy recipe with me. Frankly, I am salad-challenged. I was raised on Chinese food and never ate salad. “Frahhhh-nce” (she’s French, you know) was sweet enough to come over and make me this fresh, colorful and beautiful salad. She used to be a chef so she eats well, as do I when she visits, and now creates beautiful handmade dog couture at Molly & June.
Let’s get straight to the recipe tips! Begin by slicing the beets into matchsticks. Look at this gorgeous color. If you have golden beets, use them too for contrasting color.
Toast your walnuts in the oven or on the stove. Sip some wine.
Also peel and cut up your apples into matchsticks. In a separate bowl, make the citrus vinaigrette.
Toss beets and apples in vinaigrette, and plate individually, each on a bed of arugula or mixed greens. Spoon some extra dressing on top.
Add crumbled feta or goat cheese (I love how my apron matches the salad).
Top with toasted walnuts and voilÃ !
Beet & Apple Salad with Feta & Walnuts
Makes 4 servings
- 4-6 raw beets, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 2 granny smith apples (I didn’t have so substituted with gala) peeled and cut into matchsticks
- Arugula or mixed salad greens
- 8 oz goat or feta cheese, crumbled
- Toasted walnuts
- 6 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice (you can also use white balsamic, apple cider vinegar, or you favorite mixed citrus juice)
- 3 tablespoons of best-quality extra virgin olive oil
- A little fleur de sel (if you are using goat cheese; no salt, if you’re using feta cheese)
- Wash, peel and cut your beets and apples. Reserve in a large bowl.
- In a medium bowl, make your citrus vinaigrette by adding lemon juice, olive oil, and fleur de sel. Whisk together, taste and adjust to your liking. If you want a sweeter flavor, use less citrus and more olive oil. Drizzle over beets and apples and toss with pair of tongs.
- Plate individually by making a bed of salad greens, top with pile of beet mixture, and garnish with cheese and walnuts.
Eat Boutique is an online magazine + market for food enthusiasts to celebrate the best pure, local + comforting handmade foods. We call it: food that hugs you back. Looking for the perfect gift? Eat Boutique sells gift boxes filled with handmade sweet and savory treats. Order a gift box of food today.