This was a spur of the moment creation that I submitted to a contest on Food52.com last week. The combo may sound odd, but it evolved from my stint living in the Midwest, where potlucks are aplenty and the combo of sweet potato, pineapple and marshmallow made for a fun casserole dish.
The final soup is fruity and fresh, something quite unexpected from a sweet potato soup. I can see adding various spices to further pump up this base recipe, like curry and coconut milk, but I love this very simple soup. I decided not to incorporate the marshmallow. Do you blame me?!
Sweet Potato & Pineapple Soup
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled & finely chopped
- 1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1″ pieces
- 1 cup pineapple, peeled and chopped into 1″ pieces
- 4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons dried sage leaves
- 1 tablespoon salt (and extra for final seasoning)
- 1/2 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper (and extra for final seasoning)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons toasted coconut (optional)
- 2 tablespoons chopped cashews (optional)
Saute the onion and garlic in the olive oil, in a heavy bottom pan over medium-high heat, until soft.
Add sweet potato and pineapple, and saute for a few minutes. Add in water, sage, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Stir and bring to a boil. Then, lower heat and simmer for 30 minutes until potato is tender.
Puree the mixture with a hand blender or in a stand-blender. Return the pureed soup to your pot and gently simmer, adding additional seasoning as needed. You’ll definitely need to add a bit more salt and pepper.
Serve the soup with either chopped toasted cashews or toasted coconut. I also sprinkle a touch more dried sage. Yum!
Latest posts by Maggie Battista (see all)
- In Maggie’s Kitchen: Morning Polenta Porridge, a Cookbook Update and Spring Events You Don’t Want to Miss - February 23, 2015
- Candied Clementines - February 20, 2015
- In Maggie’s Kitchen: Pop-Up Thanks, Snack Mix and Parsley Sauce - February 16, 2015