As far as I’m concerned, one of the keys to eating less is drinking less. I’ve been eating less, a lot less, which means I’ve been drinking less.
Alas, as far as I’m concerned, one of the keys to enjoying Summer is drinking – not boozy, unnecessary drinking, but the kind of drinking that involves a hot setting sun, the long arch of a tree branch for shade, a lounge chair, and a small glass of something crisp, chilled and modestly boozy.
Since New England has essentially robbed us of that early Summer feeling, I haven’t felt much pressure to indulge. But a friend brought this mocktail to a party last night and, wow, who needs booze when you can enjoy these perfect effervescent cucumber slices? It’s simple really. But the citrus-infused club soda gives the cucumber slices a sparkly bite. It’s like your cocktail and hors d’oeuvre join forces to put a smile on your face.
The friend who made this pitcher full of goodness is pregnant. So while everyone else at the party tossed several shots full of gin into their mocktail, we enjoyed the bubbly mixture with just a few ice cubes. Two of these drinks, a few spoonfuls of guacamole, a flaming-hot grill, and it felt like Summer to me.
Cucumber and Lime Spritzer
- 2 12-ounce cans club soda
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice (from 3 to 4 limes)
- 1 Kirby cucumber, thinly sliced
In a pitcher, combine the club soda, lime juice, and cucumber. Serve over ice. For an instant cocktail: Stir in 1/2 cup gin before serving.
Latest posts by Maggie Battista (see all)
- In Maggie’s Kitchen: New York City, Naturally-Sweetened Recipes and My New Favorite Salad - March 2, 2015
- In Maggie’s Kitchen: Morning Polenta Porridge, a Cookbook Update and Spring Events You Don’t Want to Miss - February 23, 2015
- Candied Clementines - February 20, 2015